Friday, January 30, 2009
This WIP (work in progress) is done on a RTX240 pastel support...great surface for those who haven't tried it.
"The Last Peony"
9" x 12"
Established some of the darks and lights...working all over the place
Oops....got the cherub in the wrong place so I scraped it out with a palette knife and redrew it in lightly with a White Carb Othello pastel pencil...also drew a little of the shapes for the grapes and leaves.
More of the same!
Started establishing the darks in the background, the cherub, grapes and the peony...trying to remember to keep the shapes simple and my edges soft.
Looking for large shapes of local color, I started to block in the major shapes with very little detail and soft edges.
The second stage, I used a stiff brush with some water to scrub the pigment into the paper...loved the effect of this.
Started with a 9" x 12" Rtx240 pastel support first blocking in several hard and soft pastels to give me a general feel for the basic light and dark passages.
Pastels used were Terry Ludwigs, Great Americans, Rembrandts and NuPastels.